If the Landlord is in agreement we allow tenants to replace themselves on the contract with another tenant as long as the new tenant passes our credit and reference checks and is approved by the other housemates (if any).
The outgoing tenant will be cleared of any liability once the new tenant is signed up on the renewed contract. We sign the contract online once fees are in and references have been satisfactorily checked.
The outgoing tenant remains repsonsible for the rent under the terms of the original contract up to the day the incoming tenant starts their lease.
The deposit is dealt with independently of Findlay Property. We strongly recommend that you formalise the transfer of funds with the outgoing tenants in a non-verbal way, for example via email, signed letter or promissory note.
Once the deposit has been transferred from the old tenant to the new tenant and the contract has been signed we will update the TDS cert with the new tenant’s name.
Change of tenant within an existing tenancy – Cost breakdown
The following fees apply to the new tenant joining an existing tenancy or replacing a tenant within an existing tenancy:
- Click here for our schedule of fees for tenancies started before 1st June 2019
- Click here for our schedule of fees for tenancies started after 1st June 2019
CONTACT US FOR OUR BANK DETAILS
- Out-going tenants don’t hand over keys until the deposit portions are in the respective accounts
- Incoming tenants don’t hand over deposit money until the property has been satisfactorily checked against the list below*. It’s a standard departure list, usually for end of tenancies.
Here’s how we expect this to work:
- Outgoing tenant gets the property in order with reference to the list below and the inventory taken at the start of the tenancy
- Outgoing tenants check it together, room by room, point by point
- Outgoing tenants go back and fix/clean anything remaining
- Once the new tenant/tenants are satisfied, they must pay the portion of the deposit to the outgoing tenants/tenants. We recommend doing this via online bank transfer to ensure there is a record of the transfer of funds
- When outgoing tenants see this in their account they release keys and we will update the deposit certificate.
*Important information regarding the hand-over:
Please refer to the following guidelines in order that there are no misunderstandings regarding the departure from the property and your responsibilities.
Again: before paying your portion of the deposit to the outgoing tenant, the incoming tenant must make sure the property is in good condition in accordance with these guidelines and by checking the inventory – once they have handed over their deposit, they have taken on liability for the condition of the property.
Any issues thrown up by an exit inspection would throw up costs in the form of contractors booked to make items good. These costs come from your deposit. To avoid reaching this outcome, we aim to establish clear communication in the form of itemised queries and supporting images, coming from you, for any concerns you may have. This is what we expect in preparation for a handover, and is a good guide for general upkeep. It spells out what you have signed up to in our agreement:
- All windows must be cleaned on the inside and interior window frames and ledges must be wiped clean throughout
- Ceilings and walls must be cobweb free.
- All washable wall surfaces to be washed down and left dust, dirt and stain free.
- Skirting boards to be washed over and dust free
- Floors- to be washed and vacuumed throughout and the carpets to be professionally cleaned, if stained. Kitchen and bathrooms floors washed.
- All wooden furniture to be dust free and polished, if required.
- Cooker to be cleaned thoroughly with an appropriate oven cleaner, do not forget the shelves in the oven, the glass door, grill pan and oven trays.
- Refrigerators and freezers should be defrosted and wiped out.
- Bath, WC, shower screens, wash hand basins and kitchen sinks must be cleaned
- Insides the cupboards and drawers must be cleaned.
- Washing machine/ dish washer- soap dispenser must be washed and the filter cleaned.
- All lampshades to be dust free and light bulbs replaced where necessary.
- Vacuum cleaner bags to be emptied and filters cleaned.
- Clearance of all excess junk, rubbish and food
- Clearance of unwanted items of furniture/belongings [at final handover- everything not listed in the inventory]
- At end of tenancy, removal of junk would represent an extra cost
- Post: Arrange redirection with Royal Mail
- We recommend also providing forwarding labels, and/or arranging visits with subsequent tenants to collect
- Findlay Property, the landlord or the new occupants are not responsible for the re-direction of post.
Please note that our agreement is that you will have reported any dilapidations – wear and tear, damp mould etc – as they progress, so that we can help advice on management. If you have not done so up to this point, now is a good time to raise these issues.
Keys: we recommend holding handover of keys until the incoming tenant has settled the portion of your deposit, and you can see it in your account.
Council Tax and Bills: These really have nothing to do with us, we recommend settling all bills in advance, and keeping track of meter readings.
Contract / Responsibility – You are jointly liable for:
- The condition of the entire property
- The timely payment of the entire rent
It is in everyone’s interests that you work together to maintain these two key points
Again – it’s a very good idea to formalise things, even between friends.