1 – What do you have to pay before moving in?

The first month’s rent
Deposit (five weeks rent)

Please note that before moving-out of the property you will have to pay for the check-out report (Landlords pay the check-in and tenants pay the check-out) + a professional cleaning session.

2 – Do you need a Guarantor?

If you are full-time working professional and earning 2.5 times the amount of the rent it should be fine. To check if your earnings pass the credit check threshold of 2.5 x the annual rent, please see below:

Weekly rent x 52 (weeks) x 2.5 = £XXXX

If you are full-time student, or if your earnings are not enough to cover the credit referencing threshold of 2.5 times the annual rent, you may need one of the following:

  1. A Guarantor who earns more than the threshold of 2.5 x annual rent
  2. Payment of 6 months’ rent upfront (6 whole months, not apportioned rent between tenants)

3 – What is a lead tenant?

If you share a property we will ask you to choose a Lead Tenant. The Lead Tenant is the one nominated to act on the behalf of the other tenants.

So make sure to choose the most reliable tenant.

4 – What is the Tenancy Deposit Scheme?

Since April 2007, all assured shorthold tenancy deposits received by landlords and letting agents must be protected by a Government-authorised tenancy deposit protection scheme.

This means that your deposit is registered with the TDS – www.tenancydepositscheme.com– for the duration of the tenancy.

Your deposit will be returned at the end of the tenancy, once you, the Landlord and Findlay Property have agreed how it should be repaid.

5 – What about utility bills?

You are moving into a rented property you will be responsible to managing and paying your bills such as gas, electricity and water, as well as Council Tax and the TV licence yourself.

You’ve got two basic options for setting up utilities: transfer your existing utilities to your new home, or contact your suppliers to establish fresh accounts.

6 – When do I have to pay my rent?

You have to pay the rent in advance, every calendar month commencing on the first day of the term stated in your contract.

Basically if you move in on Saturday 18th of November, then you will have to pay your rent every 18th of each month.

*You can find Findlay Bank details on page 3 of your tenancy agreement.

7 – How to give notice?

If you have a 6 month break clause in your contract, you can give notice after 6 months and one day in the flat.

You can send notice by email, please note that you have to give at least one month’s notice.

Please note that an estate agent will start to marketing the flat the same day we will receive your notice, and will give you 24h notice before holding any viewings. Most of the time we have a set of keys at the agency, so no need to be present.

8 – What about renewing my tenancy agreement after 12 months contract?

It is important to know that after 12 months your contract does not automatically renew, a day after your contract ends; it becomes a periodic tenancy, which rolls on a month by month basis.

It’s best to contact the property manager, 2/3 months before the end of your contract to renew it.

9 – What is the Maintenance Guide and Tenants Responsibilities Guide?

In addition to the landlord having responsibilities throughout the course of the tenancy, there are also responsibilities on you, the tenant(s). As a tenant in a rented property, you are expected to act in a “tenant-like manner” and in doing so carry out duties in and around the property that are reasonably expected of you.


10 – WHAT is THE difference between furnished / unfurnished?

In addition to providing all white goods the landlords normally provide basic furniture. When a property is ‘furnished’ this usually includes a bed(s), wardrobe(s), sofa and dining table and chairs. When a property is ‘unfurnished’ only white goods are provided. Please note we never provide microwaves, TVs, cutlery, crockery, etc.

Please check with the Negotiator if you are unsure about furnishings.


Yes, we are members of Propertymark Client Money Protection Scheme. The Client Money Protection Certificate can be found here.

You can download a copy of the Security Certificate here.

The redress scheme we are members of is the Property Ombudsman, our membership number is D03559: https://www.tpos.co.uk/

12 – What is our complaints procedure?

  1. Speak to the member of staff you have been dealing with and explain why you are unhappy and give them an opportunity to reply
  2. If you are still not happy please ask the member of staff to refer the matter to one of the Company Directors
  3. If you wish to make a formal complaint you can do so in in writing to the Directors
  4. Your complaint will be acknowledged within three working days of receipt and an investigation undertaken.
  5. A formal written outcome of the investigation will be sent to you within fifteen working days.
  6. If you are still not happy you can refer the matter to The Property Ombudsman.